About the Roediger House
The George and Laura Roediger House was completed in 1905 and was the home for the Roediger family until 1991. It is located on North Spring Street in the Holly Avenue Neighborhood (which is on the National Register of Historic Places). The neighborhood was at one time the site of many fine homes, including the one owned by R.J. Reynolds prior to moving his family out to the current Reynolda House. Spring Street gets its name from the spring that made the original Moravian settlement at Salem a suitable location.
The house was built by George Roediger, a Charlotte native whose parents had immigrated to the United States from Germany. The property on which the house is located encompasses two lots. From the City Directories at the time the house was built, it appears that the family may have been living in a house next door, at 308 N. Spring Street. It appears that his first business venture in Winston-Salem was a saloon that was located at 15 East Third Street. Prior to that, in the 1890s, Mr. Roediger was a bar clerk. With the passage of prohibition in North Carolina in 1908, all saloons disappeared. City records show he owned a motion picture house called The Dreamland, located in the 400 block of North Liberty Street in 1915-1916. When he died in 1939, it was front-page news in the Winston-Salem Journal, and he was identified primarily as a realtor.
His widow Laura continued to live in the house, along with their daughters Annie Glass, Ishnee, and Ruth. Ishnee married a man named George S. Crawford in 1940, but the other daughters never married and continued to live in the house long after their mother died (at home) in 1947. Ruth, the last remaining member of the Roediger family in the house, moved out to a nursing home and then died soon after, in 1991. The house was left vacant and was deteriorating rapidly, even being very nearly slated for demolition. An organization founded by a recovering addict and known as FIRST, Inc. (Forsyth Initiative for Residential Self-Help Treatment) secured funding and grants to buy the property and made it its headquarters and residential facility. Extensive renovations were completed on the house. By 1993, the organization had moved in, using the downstairs for offices and the upstairs to house residents undergoing treatment for and recovery from drug and alcohol dependencies. The house was put up for sale in 2003 when the organization decided to consolidate its operations at Ridgecrest, near Asheville.
Ray Jones bought the house from FIRST, Inc., in October 2003 and moved in on November 8. Beginning in November 2008, the old bathrooms and kitchen areas were demolished and a new kitchen complex was built onto the back of the house. In addition, new bathrooms were built on, along with a laundry room. The renovation project also involved a completely new HVAC system and new roof. This project was mostly completed by the summer of 2009.
There is still more to be done, although the bulk of the renovation and addition project is completed. On the list: plaster repair in most of the main areas, followed by painting of rooms and refinishing of the hardwood floors upstairs. New storm windows and shutters are needed. The yard begs for an extensive landscaping effort.